by Angela Haynes
We are very excited to welcome our brand new corporate partners, The Association Specialists, who will provide membership management, secretariat and governance support as well as bookkeeping services for the Chamber. This initiative followed our internal review of ways to optimise the back office of the Chamber. We could not go past the value for money and expertise gained from finding this outsourced solution.
Onboarding has been a breeze and we are very grateful to Megan Ogier, Director of Member Services and Adil Ahmad, Team Manager Accounts as both have been abundantly available and helpful in getting us set up.
We thought this would also be a good opportunity to get to know The Association Specialists (TAS) better so we fired a couple of questions to Managing Director, Francis Child.
What does TAS do and how long has it been in business?
TAS provides outsourced support services for associations, societies and community groups and has been doing this since 1984. It has been under my ownership since 2000.
Advice you can share to help others in business?
Always stay on top of the cash-flow but still be prepared to take measured risks. Some will pay off and some will not!
What has been the hardest lesson you have had to learn in business?
You have to keep talking to your clients and servicing them well. The moment you forget about them they can go somewhere else.
What is the economic outlook for 2020 for TAS?
Probably somewhat static for 2020. There are risks around but the association sector is still fairly vibrant for those who are supporting their members well.
What expertise or solutions are you looking for in your business right now?
We are trying to build a network of quality suppliers to the sector to help us lift our profile and services we can offer to our clients.
What benefits does TAS bring to its clients?
- Access to specialised skills – financial, managerial, marketing and sales, customer service, secretarial, IT support and meetings management without the cost of employing your own team.
- Leverage our extensive investments in technology, communication systems, methodologies, people and security. Access a network of proven and trusted specialist suppliers, and leverage our great buying power.
- Knowledgeable and trained full-time staff providing a complete set of secretariat and management skills with no down time impact to service such as when staff taking leave.
- Independent oversight of your key reportable functions by trained specialists. Free your executive for the day-to-day operations to focus on key strategies and projects to advance your community.
- Improve efficiencies through economies of scale and control or reduce your operating costs.
- Associations can enjoy the features of a fully staffed, well managed, technologically modern office for a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself.
What do you like to do outside of work?
Sadly I am something of a sports tragic who can no longer do it myself (except play golf badly!).
What is a fun fact about you?
I used to work as the Finance Director for Chrysalis Records in the UK, ensuring a regular supply of tickets to Blondie, Huey Lewis and Billy Idol concerts.